Stone-built pub on the fringes of the Peak District, attractively situated opposite the restored canal basin, down a lane from the main road. It has been a free house for many years but still bears some evidence of Wilsons’ livery. The characterful, rambling interior comprises comfortable areas of bench seating on either side of the main bar, a separate snug and vault at a higher level, and a section more oriented towards dining on the other side of the central corridor.
Wainwright and Taylor’s Landlord are on the bar as permanent beers, with four rotating guests, often from local micros. There’s an extensive food menu covering both snacks and full meals. The Navigation continues to thrive as an excellent all-round pub in an area where several nearby have closed in recent years.
Buxworth was originally called Bugsworth, but was renamed in 1930 to give a more genteel impression.